On Thursday Andrew and I went to the city for the appt. with Dr. Z. There wasn't much that was "new", although the bone marrow biopsy came back clean -- great! It's still an aggressive DLBC lymphoma, expressing CD+5. It's a fairly new classification of DLBC, so there isn't much written on it yet that I could find. The FISH tests are still pending, but Dr. Z is ready to move ahead with the R-ICE regimen. He arranged for Andrew to have another PET that evening, to see what has changed in the last month, and to inform the dosage of chemo. Friday morning Andrew started the Rituxin, and today he will be admitted to MSK for a 3 day round of ICE -- you can google it :)
He'll get an injection of neulasta on Thursday to stimulate the white blood cells, then home. In 23 days we do the whole thing again. After the 2 rounds, DR. Z will give Andrew another PET to see if the drugs are working. If not, we'll move on to cocktail #2. The immediate goal is remission.
I'm down to giving just the facts these days. We're scared right now, and I'm finding it hard to write the way I could in the past. But I do want to keep everyone informed -- we've been amazed by the outpouring of support, and are so grateful. I'm not sure how we would have made it this far without all of the help, love and good wishes we've received. We're also being taken very good care of at MSK, which removes some of the fear. So keep your fingers crossed for Andrew today. It's traumatic to head back into the chemo after all he's been through, but as always, he endures everything without complaint.